Hello friends! I just wanted to pop in and wish you the happiest and safest of Thanksgivings. Whether you are hosting at home, or traveling to that of a loved one, I truly hope it’s filled with joy, laughter, and most importantly, good food. 😉 Drink some wine for me, too, OK? This year has been a big one for our family, and we are all grateful for so much. I thought I would take this opportunity to share some of the many blessings I can count in my life.
(Family selfie from our summer road trip taken just before watching the Cubbies)
- These people right up there. My family has been with me this past year as we have navigated through repeat miscarriages, the death of our beloved Jake, as well as so many more moments where their emotional support was crucial to me. They’ve kept me moving, putting one foot in front of the other, and more importantly they’ve kept me smiling, laughing. When times have been sad, they have kept me from feeling alone. They’ve been my rock, and as we venture forward into the exciting territory of a new baby entering our family, they are still there by my side, celebrating every step of the way and rejoicing in what is not mine, but all of ours.
- The healthy baby boy growing in my belly. Every. Single. Time. I go to the Dr’s and have an ultrasound or hear the heartbeat, I am overcome with emotion and relief. Every time, I walk out, go to my car, sit down, and the tears come. I can’e believe that after all we’ve been through, we’ve got a little warrior on his way to join us. Emmy told me this is what she is most thankful for this year.
- My extended family on both sides. My parents, in-laws, brother’s family, Chris’ siblings and their families have all been wonderful and I think we all have been heaving a collective sigh of relief. We all truly have something to celebrate this year. Additionally, we have two other babies joining the family at the very end of this year. Babies for days!
- Furry friends. While I miss Jake terribly, and have been especially missing him this time of year (Fall was our favorite for walks), I am grateful to have Catcher and Snowball in our lives. They fill our home with fur, dirt, occasional accidents, but mostly love, love, and more love! Dogs are such a shining example of how we should love with our whole selves.
- Reigniting my creative spark. Last year I was feeling especially lost and uninspired, and I came across this quote. “At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us.” -Albert Schweitzer. I know that my spark was reignited only because of my friends and family who have encouraged me to find it again, and to follow my heart. The light comes from within, but the kindling comes from all of those who throw it into that little flame and help it grow.
- My friends and you, dear readers. As mentioned above, you and my friends have helped me to find that spark again. You’ve encouraged me, listened to me, and given me helpful ideas.
- The opportunity to once again work in vintage. I am grateful to the new owners and vendors at Sweet Clover who took me back with open arms and immediately made me feel like part of the team again. I’ve been having a great time reconnecting with the customers, vendors, and once again getting my hands dirty with paint!
- Returning to J. Crew. It may seem silly to be that excited about a part time job, but being back at J. Crew, I realize how much I really love helping people with clothing. I thoroughly enjoy putting together outfits customers might not think of, and helping them find things that make them feel more confident. I’ve also truly enjoyed the people that I am working with, even if I am a good 15-20 years older than most of them. 🙂
- Enjoying creative endeavors with Emmy. Having Emmy as a creative sidekick has been plain awesome this year. She loves to help me set up my space at J. Crew, and we enjoy crafting and baking, decorating cakes together. I am actually really happy to have another boy joining our family, because Emmy and I truly have something special and I was worried another daughter might change that dynamic. I am looking forward to many more creative adventures with her in the years ahead.
- A new opportunity to share something I love. I only briefly mentioned it, but I’ve joined Beautycounter as a consultant just a couple of weeks ago. It’s a company I 100% believe in and stand by, with values I share, and results I love. You can read all about my own personal experience with it here. I am nervous about starting something new, but also excited to be a part of a movement I believe in.
- The chance to see so much of our country. This past summer we took the road trip of a life time! I do plan to share all about it as we approach next Spring for those planning their summer trips. We saw, did, and ate so much, truly experiencing some of the best our nation has to offer.
- A million other things. I could fill the internet with all of the things I am so grateful for, but I will stop there! 🙂
Now it’s your turn! Tell me something you are thankful for this year! Ready, GO!