For the longest time, I didn’t have any plans for our nursery aside from knowing I wanted a modern crib. I just waited hoping that inspiration would strike. Finally one day it started to hit me and I knew what I wanted. I sat down at the computer and started the design plan as soon as that moment struck because I didn’t want to forget anything. Since then, I’ve been tweaking the plan, and I feel like I am ready to share with you our plans for an earthy modern boy nursery design.
This post contains affiliate links.
As you can see, the space is mostly going to be white, gray, and blue with natural touches of leather and wood. I am going to break down each of the elements below for you, but what you see above is the overall plan. I also wanted to share with you a little reminder of what that space looked like before we emptied it. Last year I shared our “No Cost Bedroom Makeover” of this space that we’ve used as a guest room for the last couple of years and it looked like this….
We’ve removed everything from the bedroom and will be steam cleaning the carpet before we start bringing anything new in. We’re also planning on repainting the walls in a fresh white, and the nook that features the shelving will be painted in a rich navy.
- Crib- the most essential piece of a baby’s room, right? To be honest, I am in love with the Hudson crib by Babyletto, but it’s around $400, and they make the Modo crib in gray and it’s $100 less. The Hudson crib seems to be frequently used as well, so it will be nice to have something that’s not as commonly used, and I love the chunky legs.
- Changing Table/Sideboard- My good friend Angelique passed on the vintage white sideboard you can catch a glimpse of in her old home tour here. (The one pictured in my plan can be found here– I used it because it was similar and a straight on shot). I had not planned on using a sideboard nor even a white piece as the changing table but after Chris brought it home I realized that the size and height were just perfect, the storage was great, and there was room underneath for baskets. I also love that it brings in a bit of classic vintage to the space. This piece below is the actual one I’ll be using.
- Leather lounge chair- This past fall I was picking up a beautiful vintage dresser and desk from a gentleman and he offered me a large leather chair for free as well. I took it, but wasn’t sure I would keep it. However, once we found out we were having a boy, I knew it would be the perfect masculine touch and also keep my comfortable when I am nursing the baby in the wee hours of the night. Mine is currently in my garage awaiting the room to be ready, but the one pictured in my plan can be found here.
- Side table- My good friend Angelique who gave me the sideboard also passed on this cute little brass and black glass side table which will be perfect next to the leather chair.
- Dresser- I am currently on the hunt for the perfect wood finished midcentury dresser which will sit in the closet, with the curtains open. When we find we no longer need a changing table, the dresser will come out of the closet and sit on the wall that the sideboard will be on in the immediate future. This dresser is along the lines of the look I want.
- Blanket ladder- I would love to find a vintage ladder to house blankets for the baby. This etsy shop makes some really cute dipped ones that I am considering as well if I can’t find one.
- Rug- We already have this gorgeous cloudy shag rug from boutique rugs, and I love the soft ethereal feel it brings to the space, keeping everything light.
- Curtains for closet- I’m planning to take a trip to Ikea soon to pick up the Sanela curtain panels in navy blue velvet to frame the closet. They will add the perfect touch of deep color to that side of the room.
- Blankets- My mom got me an awesome serape style blanket in various blues which I’d love to use in this space to bring in more blues. I also have a falsa blanket in blue, black and white. These will look perfect displayed on the blanket ladder.
- Fox pillow- My brother and his wife gave me this adorable blue and white fox pillow from this shop years ago which will suit this room perfectly! Here’s a better photo of it…
- Wallpaper- This element is the only one I am not certain of yet… I was considering planking the closet, but now I am thinking of wallpapering it with something fun such as this Dragon Sky wallpaper. I love the touch of color and whimsy it would add to the space.
- Pouf- While I adore the denim Moroccan pouf from Serena & Lily, it’s way out of my budget. I’ve found this much less expensive version from Buybuy Baby.
Art & Accessories
- Banner above crib- Truth be told, this banner was really the spark that lead to my plan. I love everything about it from the quote, the author, to the colors and the sentiment. Courtney of Declaration home surprised me by wanting to send it to me as a baby gift when she saw my plan!
- Mobile- I am not 100% on this mobile yet, but I know I want something simple in blues, aquas, grays, and whites. I may end up DIY-ing something, but this felted star mobile is along the lines of what I want.
- Blue forest print- I am absolutely 100% in love with the feel, the colors, the look of this “Misty Forest” print! I am hoping to be able to get it for above the changing table sideboard. It’s the absolute perfect piece.
- Bison head- We have a jackalope head from this company in our master bedroom and I love the masculinity of the bison head. It’s playful but strong, and also has special meaning to our family since we were lucky enough to see them in person last summer.
- Wool wall hanging- I already own a beautiful handmade wool and metal wall hanging from Ore & Wool which will hang somewhere in this nursery! I love the softness and color these pieces bring to a space.
- Teepee- I really want to get a denim teepee for the space. I am not sure if this is the one, but something like this. I might even attempt to make one…. might.
- Play gym- This natural wood play gym fits not only the aesthetics of the space, but also the safety I am looking for.
- Vintage globe light- Angelique also passed on to me this beautiful smoked glass vintage globe swag light that I will use over the leather chair and table. Gotta give the boy some swank!
- Not All Who Wander print- We already own this print and I love the colors, look, sentiment, and the story it’s from.
- Baskets in closet- Currently the closet has two shelves and the top shelf is rather hard to get to . I plan to remove the shelves and add one new wooden shelf and baskets similar to these gray striped ones on top to house all the extras.
- Round basket- A hamper is a must and I love this striped round basket perfect for gathering dirty laundry.
Phew! That is everything for now. I am sure this plan is somewhat subject to change, but overall I am thrilled with it and can’t wait to start getting the pieces in place. Kids’ spaces have always been my favorite to design and drool over because they are so full of fun and personality. This room is going to be my favorite project this year, I can tell you that!
I’ve put together a little shoppable boutique in case you want to find any of the items featured above.