Hello friends! I hope you have been having a wonderful summer. We escaped a couple of weeks ago to the beach with my brother’s family for a long weekend and it was divine… hard to come back to reality! Things are about to get real crazy here the next few weeks with Chris traveling a ton and me single momming it while both Sawyer and Emmy have camps that overlap at different times, plus taking care of and nursing a 3 month old. We will survive; we might not thrive but we will survive! In between the camps, mini vacation, and just being mom, I’ve been working on a few pieces of furniture for our August Sweet Clover Sale which is coming up in a couple of weeks. I’ll be sharing a few makeovers with you before then, and today I have my first of those with this furniture makeover: teal and wood midcentury dresser. (This post contains affiliate links.)
I had to use that as my first photo… I was trying to take some quick photos of the finished piece before hauling it to Sweet Clover when Patches decided to photobomb it.
I found this dresser via my local facebook marketplace and loved the shape as well as the details on the drawers. Here is the image from the ad.
Structurally it was in great shape, but it really needed something to make it stand out. It was so brown and blah, and the right side of it had several scratches. I knew I wanted to paint just the body, and leave the drawers and base/legs wood. I removed the drawers and used my orbital sander to sand the body down just enough so that paint would adhere. I had planned on painting it in General Finishes Coastal Blue (giving it a similar look to this one), but I realized I didn’t have any paint left in that color. My next thought was a dark teal, similar to the Benjamin Moore Newburgh Green color I used to love so long ago. (You can see it on a dresser here.) I didn’t want to purchase any paint, so I decided to create my own custom mix. At first I blended Lamp Black and Patina Green, about an equal mix of each. It turned out looking rather gray and not at all what I wanted. I added about a quarter of the amount of Emerald Green and bam, the perfect color!
I applied two coats of paint to the body of the dresser. Once they were dry, I applied Black Bison wax in clear, allowed that to dry, and buffed it with a clean rag. (BTW, you can find a shoppable product list at the end of this post featuring the items I used).
The drawers were actually in great shape minus a few little scratches and blemishes. I cleaned them well with simple green, then applied a Miwax Aged Oak gel stain to where the scratches were and just rubbed it in, wiping with a clean rag immediately after. It was really all they needed to look fresh again.
I treated the base and legs the same as the drawers, just touching up little imperfections.
This past weekend, Chris and I hauled it over to Sweet Clover for the August sale.
I am really happy with the results of the color mixing, which is a good thing because I may have mixed A LOT of paint! I’ll be sharing another dresser in this color but with a totally different look soon!
If you’re looking for any of the products I used in this post, you can find them here:
And don’t forget to enter the General Finishes contest if you’ve got any projects using their products! Today is the last day to enter!
Sharing at Thrifty Decor Chick.