42 Ways To Make a Difference
It’s a big day around here; I am now 42 (Emmy tells me I look 30, so she is my favorite child), and Sawyer is now 15 today! I have to be honest… leading up to this birthday has felt so weird. I am sure you’ve sensed it with my break from projects, and my focus on Feel Good Fridays only, but with everything going on in our country, I am feeling the need to rock the boat a bit. Last year when I celebrated, I talked about positive changes I was making in my own life, and I still value and uphold all of them. However, it’s taken me 42 years to truly wake up to the very me-centric society we live in, and I want change. I want to change. For my birthday, I made a list of 42 ways you can make a difference in the life of another human being, animal, or to our planet. If you feel so inclined today, do one of these and let me know which one you did! Let’s be sources of light. Let’s be the change makers! It starts with you and me.
1. Check on a neighbor who lives alone.
2. Register to vote.
3. Phone a friend, no text… pick up the phone.
4. Surprise someone with an e-gift card.
5. Adopt an animal.
6. Bake cookies and leave them on friends’ doors.
7. Tell someone you love how you feel. Life is too short to hold that in.
8. Forgive someone.
9. Send a letter to a state politician.
10. Clean up neighborhood trash.
11. Eat vegetarian for a day.
12. Donate food to local shelters.
13. Donate professional clothing to women’s safe houses.
14. Read a book by someone whose views are different than yours. (I am reading this one.)
15. Make a gratitude list.
16. Volunteer at an animal shelter.
17. Do something for the pure joy of it… when you seek joy you inspire others to do the same.
18. Send flowers to someone you haven’t talked to in a while.
19. Volunteer for Operation Backpack or similar.
20. Dance with your kids like no one is watching.
21. Read a book to a child or senior citizen.
22. Make a handmade card and send to a friend.
23. Pay for the drive through order behind you.
24. Give thanks for the challenges that built you.
25. Be an active ally, pursuing anti-racism and supporting LGBTQ communities.
26. Donate to Wounded Warriors.
27. Take a walk and say hello to everyone you pass, no matter how unfriendly they may appear. Your smile can make a difference.
28. Play whatever your kids want you to play, no matter how much you don’t want to pretend to be a dinosaur.
29. Offer a free grocery pick up service to neighbors in need.
30. Mow an elderly neighbor’s lawn.
31. Write a letter to your spouse or partner to remind them and yourself why you love them so much.
32. Adopt a family for Christmas. It’s not too soon!
33. Invest in reusable snacks bags, straws, paper towels, grocery bags, etc.
34. Donate to wildfire relief fund.
35. Offer to babysit for a friend or family member if you can do so safely.
36. Send a care package to overseas troops.
37. Donate to Save the Rhinos or similar.
38. Make encouraging signs for your yard.
39. Give $20 to the cashier at the grocery store to put towards the purchase of the person behind you.
40. Propagate a plant and share the shoots with friends.
41. Order local takeout and leave a big tip, or if that’s not possible call to commend the server.
42. Love yourself, because it all starts with you.