Join me on the 30 Day Thrifted Fashion Challenge!
If you follow me on instagram, you may have heard the beginning rumblings of a little project I decided to launch in January. Today I am spilling all of the details and officially introducing the 30 day thrifted fashion challenge which will be launching on January 2! (Gotta give you a day to recuperate after all, unless you wanna kick it off with your best thrifted hangover outfit?). A few months ago when I turned 41, I shared all of my thoughts for how I would like to make the rest of my life better, and high on my priority list is taking better care of our planet which includes shopping sustainable and ethical brands, and, naturally, thrift shopping. At home, I work on encouraging my kids to thirft shop, and I want to also encourage you to consider it as well. You can find so many used items at Goodwill, thrift shops, facebook marketplace, and even so many online retailers like Poshmark. Today I want to just share with you all of the rules and how you can participate by using hashtags and on facebook. I truly want this to be an inspiring and interactive experience which is why I am telling you about it today; I want to give you time to gather your goods!
In the above photo I am wearing a thrifted chambray shirt as well as a thrifted maxi skirt.
Here are your rules for play:
- At least one large item from your outfit each day must be thrifted or used. That means, your top or your bottoms or a dress, or even a jacket. Of course, the more the merrier, but I am all about cozy sweaters and leggings this time of year, and leggings get a little too “intimate” for me to ever buy used. I know how sweaty I can get in my own… 😉
- You can NOT mix your thrifted item with brand new. If only one part of your outfit is thrifted, then the rest needs to come from your pre-existing wardrobe or be borrowed from a friend. The only exception for brand new would be if you found it in the thrift shop new with tags! (Emmy got an awesome velvet jacket for $1 that was brand new!)
- Can you use thrifted clothing you already own? Absolutely! The idea is not to go spend a ton of money. If you already have items you’ve thrifted hanging in your closet, show them off! Mix them up in new ways!
- Take photos of your outfits and share them in our facebook group, or on instagram in a post or in your stories with our hashtag, #30daythriftedfashion.
- Have fun!! I want to see how you creatively put together outfits and express your personal style!
It’s really simple, right? There’s really no wrong way to do it… I just don’t want to see any brand new items.
What you can expect from me:
- Each day I will share a new outfit in my instagram stories. Occasionally I may post a photo in my feed, but I will mostly use stories.
- Once a week on my blog, I will share the week’s worth of thrifted outfits.
- Emmy and I both love to thrift and she has got the best eye and finds amazing things like this epic Harvard jacket she regularly wears with her school uniform. (Dream big, girlfriend!) I will be sharing with her, so some days you might get an Emmy outfit, and some days you will get me.
- Throughout the month I will sharing tips such as the best places to find used clothing, the best places to sell used clothing, and more thoughtful ideas when it comes to shopping used clothing!
- Features! As I mentioned, I want this to be interactive and I want you to join in the fun. I plan to share YOUR outifts that catch my eye each week in my weekly outfit roundup posts as well as in my stories on instagram
How you can join the fun:
I know that not everyone is a blog reader, or instagram user, so I have tried to come up with a few ways that you can join the fun.
- Use #30daythriftedfashion on all social posts (instagram, twitter, etc.)
- Join the facebook group I’ve just created where we can all interact, share tips, amazing scores, and more!
- If you aren’t in any of those places and avoid social media, feel free to email me at [email protected] with your photos and finds!
It truly is going to be simple, fun, and will push us all to think creatively and discover the magic of thrifting for clothing. Grab a girlfriend, some spare cash (you won’t need much!), and hit the ground running to your local thrift shops and let’s see what you come up with. Happy thrifting!