Happy POWW! I am writing this post Saturday, just in case we lose power Monday… I want to make sure it’s up and ready. I am scheduling ahead of time because when natural disaster strikes, it’s important to fill the bath tub with water, make sure all your laundry is done, stock up on non-perishable foods, and get your blog ready. 🙂
UPDATE: All is well here! We fared the worst of the storm and did not lose power! We spent the day yesterday with all four of us home, and I spent a good amount of time working on Christmas crafts for the barn with my assistant, Emmy. We also spent a better part of the morning looking for Jake…. if you have been reading this blog for a while, this is a repeat of what happened when I was at Haven. Chris took the dogs out, Jake saw deer. It was cold and raining and I was freaking out…. Chris drove around and looked for him. I drove around and looked for him and after an hour I came home and said to Chris, “Your turn to go look. Don’t come home without my dog.” 20 minutes later he called and told me to start a warm bath and have towels ready. He spent the rest of the day resting and licking sore paws, but he is OK. Thank goodness. So that was the worst of it for us! Kids are home from school again and we plan to relax today and stay home again.
Last week I found this dresser at one of my favorite thrift shops. It needed some de-smelling and love.
I aired it out with baking soda in the drawers for a couple days. Then I used a solution of water and vinegar to wipe it down. It still smelled slightly odd to me, so I repeated that process again. Once it was clean and fresh, I got to work.
I started to remove the knobs, but It appeared that they had been reinstalled when the dresser had once been wet and I couldn’t get them out without bending, so I decided to leave them in and paint over them.
I proceeded to use my orbital sander to give the dresser a light sanding all over to clean it and prep it for Old White chalk paint. I gave it two coats, and then again used the orbital sander to distress it at the edges, and then finished off with a wet rag, which I have found works well for distressing chalk paint I finished it off with a clear wax for protection, buffed it, and voila!
I love the green peeking through!
I have not painted a “shabby chic” piece in quite some time and I think this one fits the name perfectly!
Now it’s your turn to share your own furniture projects!
1. Your post must be a completed original project and must be a furniture redo or build.
2. Your post must be new to my parties- do not link something you have shared on this blog before.
3. You must be a follower or subscriber to party here.
6. Leave others some comment love!