Summer Corn, Blueberry & Avocado Salad (or Salsa!)
One of the things I miss most about our old home in Maryland is picking blueberries at Frog Eye Farm, which was always one of my favorite summer outings. I love picking them on my own because I love the especially tart berries versus the overly sweet. This year I am making do with organic local berries from the grocery store, and I was pleasantly surprised by how good they are, even if they aren’t Frog Eye Farm. Anyhow, years ago I hosted a get together and a friend brought a corn and blueberry salad which at the time seemed like a curious combination, and I LOVED it and demanded the recipe. She gave it to me, but I honestly have no idea what I did with it, so I made up my own, using some of the same ingredients and adding a few of my own touches as well, such as avocado, because avocado makes everything better. Today I am going to share with you what I came up with. It’s delicious served as a side with fish, over greens as a meal, or, as Chris prefers, with tortilla chips to eat it like a salsa. I am also joining several other bloggers today who are also sharing tasty summer recipes so be sure to check those out below. (Thanks to Krista for organizing this blog hop.)
This salad is so easy to make, and can hold in the fridge for a few days, thought ours only lasted for one day in there. 😉 I may have eaten it the next day with my lunch and as a snack. It’s just so refreshing!
- 4 ears of cooked and cooled corn
- 1 cup of blueberries
- 1 whole avocado diced
- 1/4 cup of cilantro
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1 diced serrano pepper
- 1 lime- juice and zest
- 1-2 Tbsp honey to taste
- 1/4 cup avocado or olive oil
- salt to taste
- dash cumin optional
- After you have cooked and cooled your corn, use a knife to slice the kernels off the ears. By the way, we like to wrap our corn in foil and cook on the grill, but you can do whatever option works for you. Place in large bowl. It’s ok if you have larger strips or chunks because as you stir later, they will break up a bit.
- Dice half of one red onion and add to bowl.
- Toss blueberries in bowl with corn and onion. Maybe eat a few while they’re out.
- Rinse and chop cilantro… Make sure you rinse. This girl somehow forgot and started chopping, so we ate some sand in our salad. It’s so good that it didn’t stop us though. 😉
- Have your husband dice the serrano pepper because you are too much of a sissy after that one time you stuck your finger in your eye after handling hot pepper.
- Add the cilantro and hot pepper to the bowl.
- Dice your avocado. I find the easiest thing to do is slice them in half, then dice while it is still in the peel, and use a spoon to scoop out. Add to your mixture and gently stir, careful not to mash up the avocado.
To make the dressing, add juice and zest of one lemon, 1-2 Tbsp honey, 1/4 cup oil, salt and dash cumin to a small bowl and whisk together. Pour over the salad and gently stir together again. I like to make this salad ahead of time and let the flavors ruminate for a little while. I made it just after lunch, left it in the refrigerator, and served it that evening with grilled tuna steaks.
As I mentioned, Chris likes to eat it like salsa, so while he was grilling, he put the salad out on the counter with the tortilla chips, and I have to admit it was a delicious combination… just sorta takes the healthy aspect of it away a bit. 😉
Anyhow, this recipe is definitely a keeper, and I won’t lose it now that it’s on the blog! If only we could have an actual cookout where I could serve this salad. For now, I’ll just be over here making it and eating all the leftovers to myself since there’s no one but Chris to share it with. And yes, I know we have 3 kids, but if you think they will touch this… you are wrong. Maybe your kids will, and if so, you are a better parent than I. Mine will just be over here eating all the grilled cheese they can, with a side of peanut butter, but no jelly… because fruit.
I put the recipe below for you in an easy to follow format, and below that you can find several other delicious summertime recipes for your culinary enjoyment. I can’t wait to try them all!
Corn Blueberry Avocado Salad
- 4 ears cooked corn
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro diced
- 1 serrano pepper diced
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 lime zest and juice
- 1-2 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup olive or avocado oil
- salt to taste
- 1 dash cumin optional
- Remove corn kernels from ears and place in large bowl.
- Dice onion, cilantro, and serrano pepper. Add to bowl with corn, and add blueberries.
- Dice avocado and add to bowl, then carefully and slowly stir bowl ingredients.
- In a separate small bowl whisk together the lime juice and zest through the last ingredient (optional cumin).
- Stir dressing slowly into corn mixture and serve or refrigerate.
This week, some of my blogging friends and I are sharing our favourite summer recipe ideas. Just click on the links below the images to be taken to see their full posts.
Grilled Zucchini with Parmesan on the BBQ at The Happy Housie
The BEST. Summer Salad at My 100 Year Old Home
Summer Corn, Blueberry and Avocado Salad at Cassie Bustamante
Lobster Rolls at Home at Finding Silver Pennies
Easy Skillet Nachos at She Gave it a Go
Rhubarb Cloud Dessert at A Pretty Life
Summer Apple Rhubarb Galette at Life is Better at Home
Summer Pavlova at Life is a Party
Lemon Rosewater Cookies at This is Simplicite
Cherry Rhubarb Crisp in Mini Skillets at Satori Design for Living
Cherry Pie Ice Cream at Jenna Kate at Home
Berry Crisp on the Grill at Clean & Scentsible
Sheet Pan Lemon Bars at My Sweet Savannah